This gallery contains 18 photos.
Dubbed as the medieval Manhattan, the Tuscan hill town of San Gimignano is home to 14 medieval towers, survivors of the original 72. Some of these towers were chimney-like structures built to show off the wealth of noble families, others … Continue reading
Brown, orange, red, and yellow.
Cee’s Flower of the Day Challenge: October 29, 2018
This gallery contains 20 photos.
This medieval and Renaissance hill town is located in the province of Siena in southern Tuscany. It is well known for its wine, Vino Nobile. I first learned of Montepulciano from an episode of Rick Steves’ Europe. As one who … Continue reading
This gallery contains 4 photos.
This day in 1858 Theodore Roosevelt was born. He became the 26th President of the United States. He was an advocate of conservationism which paved the way for the creation of the National Park Service. As a supporter of the … Continue reading
This gallery contains 19 photos.
Siena is a well preserved medieval city. Smaller than the very popular city of Florence, it was as wealthy and powerful in Medieval Europe. Siena was the most powerful banking city on the continent. However, internal struggles among the noble … Continue reading
This gallery contains 17 photos.
Spoleto is an ancient city once inhabited by Umbri tribes. The city is mentioned as a colony in 241 BC. Roman philosopher, Cicero described it as a Latin colony in 95 BC. Visitors go to Spoleto to see its ancient … Continue reading
This Swiss Guard disapproves of my taking his picture.
The Pontifical Swiss Guards are responsible for the Pope’s safety. They are also responsible for the security of the Apostolic Palace. They are the Vatican’s military force.
Requirements for becoming a Swiss Guard:
- Must be male.
- Must be Roman Catholic
- Must be a citizen of Switzerland
- Must be at least 1.74 meters tall
- Must be between 19 and 30 years of age. However, a retire guard, who is over 30, may be able to return in exceptional cases.
- Must be single. However, a guard may be permitted to marry if he is over 25 years of age, has already completed at least 3 years in service, is at least of a Corporal rank, and commits to serve for an additional 3 years
- Must have a high school degree or a professional diploma
- Must have completed service with the Swiss army. After getting enlisted, they undergo further training, especially in unarmed combat techniques and in countering terrorist attacks
- Must commit a minimum of 2 years
- Must be of great moral and ethical upstanding
This gallery contains 16 photos.
In my post, A Glimpse of Umbria, I mentioned that Perugia was one of the Umbrian cities that we visited. As Umbria’s capital, I thought it was a must to check it out. Perugia showcases its Etruscan and medieval past. … Continue reading